welcome to glasgow caledonian university
glasgow caledonian university (gcu) is a vibrant, innovative and multi-award winning university for the common good.
we aim to contribute to society in a manner that embraces yet goes beyond the traditional role of a university. gcu’s for the common good commitment is brought to life and delivered by students and staff across academic schools and departments.
gcu’s student experience nurtures knowledge and creativity to address real-world global challenges, transforming the lives of our students and others.
- ranked in the world’s top 150 universities in the times higher education’s 200 under 50 league (2017)
- we have academic schools offering high-quality teaching, innovative facilities and specialist areas of study
- we have world-leading and internationally excellent research
- we are the largest provider of nursing and midwifery education; have experts in renewables, energy and construction; and we are a leading provider of management, business, law and social science education
- we are raising attainment of talented individuals from all backgrounds through articulation and widening access initiatives such as college connect and the caledonian club
outstanding student experience
our modern city-centre campus provides an excellent learning environment for more than 20,000 students and 1,600 staff from more than 100 countries. gcu’s friendly campus community offers:
- the award-winning sir alex ferguson library
- opportunities to study abroad or as part of a global exchange
- 95% of gcu graduates find work or further study within six months of graduation (hesa, destination of leavers from higher education, 2018).
- £32million glasgow campus redevelopment completed in 2016
- representation from the gcu student association
- a 90% satisfaction rating in the international student barometer 2016 (isb)
- all the on-campus facilities you need including accommodation and health and fitness
- gcu has received the cycle friendly campus award from cycling scotland – the first of its kind in scotland
- gcu was the first university in scotland to achieve ecocampus platinum certification for its environmental practices
- ranked first in scotland for work experience opportunities
our world-leading and internationally excellent research addresses societal challenges to help people to build inclusive societies and lead healthy lives in sustainable environments.
- we are top modern university in scotland by research power (ref 2014)
- top 10 in the uk for world-leading social work and social policy impact (ref 2014)
- top 20 in the uk for allied health research (ref 2014) at world-leading and internationally excellent standards
- top 20 in the uk for built environment research impact (ref 2014)
- leading uk recipient of erasmus+ research funding to support education, training, youth and sport in europe
innovating for social and economic impact
we deliver applied research and knowledge exchange solutions to private, public and voluntary sector partners.
- gcu is committed to responsible business and social benefit to generate knowledge exchange and consultancy opportunities
- we are building a successful model of co-created work-based education programmes with business partners
- we generate nearly £1billion worth of economic and social benefit for the uk economy every year and more than £880million to the scottish economy annually (biggar economics)
- scotland’s first accredited living wage university employer
- first university in scotland to achieve ecocampus platinum status
- scotland’s first cycle friendly campus with almost 10% of staff cycling to work
- an award-winning international student experience
- partner in the african leadership college mauritius, home to students from 29 african countries
- our chancellor is social activist and philanthropist, dr annie lennox obe
and our chancellor emeritus is nobel peace prize winner professor muhammad yunus
- gcu has an alumni community of 128,000 graduates based in 140 countries.
- partnerships in china, india, south america and oman
- opportunities to study abroad and student exchange support
- european research and collaboration
- recognised for its commitment to promoting gender equality through the athena swan institutional bronze award